Convent, a Pugin building, opened in August 1841 - a
months after St. Chad’s Cathedral opened a mile down the road.
benefactors of St Mary's included John
Hardman of Hardman & Co and John Talbot the 16th Earl of
both wanted to address poverty in Birmingham.
convent is home to the Sisters of Mercy, founded by Venerable
Dublin in 1831, and is the second English foundation of the order.
John Hardman’s daughter, Juliana, became the
superior of St Mary's. Throughout its history, as well as
a house of prayer and a base for parish work, St Mary's has also been a
centre for the education ministry of the Sisters of Mercy. St
Mary's Convent School operated in the convent grounds until the late 1960s.
decided that as St Mary’s was
the last house founded by Catherine McAuley it should continue
a Spirituality and Associates
Centre, offer a Heritage Trail and extend a ministry to
local women and children. There are currently six sisters in
Community, carrying out various ministries.
16 Century German Carving
of St Anne, Our Lady and Jesus
visit our pages Virtual
& Scheduled Tours
find out more
information about our convent and planned programme 2012.
Convent is not
responsible for the content of external internet
Grandfather Clock by John Firderer circa 1840